The specified critical illness policy pays a lump sum benefit that can be used to help offset your income, pay for deductibles and copayments, or be applied towards your regular living expenses, based on the date of diagnosis, up to 100% of the policy’s face amount if you are diagnosed with one of the following critical illnesses.
- Heart attack
- Major organ failure
- End-stage kidney failure
- Benign brain tumor
- Coronary artery bypass surgery (50%)
- Parkinson’s Disease
- Permanent paralysis of at least two limbs due to a new paralysis
Coverage is also included for:
• Cancer (invasive)
• Carcinoma in situ — pays 25% of your coverage amount.
(Carcinoma in situ is defined as cancer that involves only cells in the tissue in which it began and that has not spread to nearby tissues.)
Choose from $10,000, $20,000, or $30,000 of coverage for yourself.
Spouses can get 100% of the employee coverage amount.
Dependent Children are automatically covered at 100% of the employee’s election amount.
Additional plan information can be found on this flyer.
All full-time employees working 30 hours (or 20 hours for bus drivers) of assigned full-time position per week are eligible for coverage the first of the month following their date of hire.
Spouse and dependent children to age 26, regardless of marital or student status.
With the Unum Be Well benefit, every year, each family member who has Critical Illness coverage can also receive $50 for getting a health
screening test, such as:
• Blood tests
• Chest X-rays
• Stress tests
• And other tests listed in your policy
Benefits for a pre-existing condition (defined as a sickness or injury, or symptoms of a sickness or injury, whether diagnosed or not, for which you received medical treatment, consultation, care or services, including diagnostic measures, took prescribed drugs or medicine, or had been prescribed drugs or medicine to be taken in the 3 months just prior to your effective date) will not be paid during the first 12 months the policy is inforce.
Here’s how you can file a claim and receive your Wellness Benefit:
1. You can file your claim online with a one-time registration on unum.com, by mail or over the phone. Simply call 1-800-635-5597 for more information.
2. You will need to provide the following information:
• First and last name of the employee and claimant (the employee might not be the claimant)
• Employee’s Social Security number or policy number
• Name and date of the test
• Physician’s name and the facility name where the test was performed
Additional information on your wellness benefit can be found on this flyer.